Thursday, 30 April 2015

Adrenaline Addict

     You make the 1st move, write it down with a trembling hand,waiting for your opponent's answer...

      I don't know for how many of you this feeling is familiar. I hope that it's not just me who has a fantastic adrenaline rush each time I play a game which I really want to win. Though I'm a quite calm person, the adrenaline pumping in my blood and making me shiver during a game isn't a thing I can control.
      This led me to the thought that I might be addicted to adrenaline. One might ask me if only playing chess gives me this rushes. Actually-no. I like driving on highways with 180 km/h with rock beats vibrating in the car. That's the main reason I don't want to get a driving license, don't want to call my friends and family asking them to stay home when I'm on the road :P
     So far, chess is the least dangerous way of getting adrenaline... Does it mean that I'm addicted? Might be true, though if it means playing chess all my life, doing the thing I love the most, it shouldn't be that bad, right?



xoxo from Iasi ;)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing Irina. It is always interesting to read your thoughts, sometimes they are very familiar to my own ones and other times not but giving insights anyway. Please do continue.

    In the past, before increments, a lot was written about time trouble junkies. They would deliberately let themselves run out of time, only a few seconds to make many moves - the adrenaline shots were uncomparable, it was said. It can be imitated by waiting until your clock only shows a few seconds of course. And maybe blitz could give some effects? I don't think so, and presume it might have to do with the tension that comes with a Big Game.

    As for a driving license - I never got one (too lazy) and do not regret it. But you yourself will. Surely you can control yourself on the roads around Iasi and save the speeding for abroad? I remember a Belgian friend who contacted me because he wanted to play for a club in Germany. Not because of the chess or the money, but to have a reason to go by motor cycle to Germany. There you could go "vroom, vroom" he said. If you keep your distance to the next car, you can go as fast as you like on some roads. Surely you were referring to the Autobahn in Germany? :-)

    ReplyDelete