Monday, 3 August 2026

Conversation with a Mosquito- Part 2

Looking towards the horizon, where night was slowly getting into its full rights, I turned to my new friend and asked, ‘Why aren’t you afraid of me?’

‘You wonder!’ the reply came, to which I could only laugh.

‘You do have a sense of humour.’

‘If sucking blood was your profession, you would too.’

Hilarious, this mosquito. Reaching for the peach, I thought that indeed the profession must be hard. Every sound you make is annoying, your touch, even more so. The second one catches sight of you, they’re already irritated.

Taking a bite from the perfectly ripe fruit, I appreciated how its sweetness complemented the wine’s saltiness. This mosquito and I did have some things in common, I must say.

‘You call it profession. How come? I thought it to be necessity. Did you always know it was your calling then?’

‘Humans. So curious! So full of themselves!’ the mosquito scoffed.
‘Professions, necessities, callings, fears… This is your problem- thinking too much. I just exist. What I do, I do. I couldn’t care less if my appearance, voice or touch is more than you silly creatures can take.’

‘I take it the wine is to your liking too,’ I said more as a note to my silly self.

There is some truth in his words though. Maybe I do think too much. Just exist. But how? Have I ever? There must have been brief moments of existence. They were, I can recall. Thinking of them, I realise they might have come out of spite too. But sweet, sweet existence it was. If only I could stop thinking about them for a heartbeat, perhaps just being would align with my timeline again!

‘How to exist?’ I heard myself asking.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment